Monday, March 29, 2010

Changing locations!!

Hola!
Wow! So much has changed within the past few days. Transfers are nuts! Leaving behind Sioux City was WAY hard. That place is like my home. I hugged Amanda for about an hour, ate lots of Hermana Flores's food for dinner, took some date pics with Omar, stared at Hermana Brisenos mole for a good thirty minutes, stalled for about an hour to leave the Flory's house, took family pics with Celia and the girls..and ate my last bag of frito chips at Sister Browns. Very eventful! I love the Ward there and the work I have been able to be part of...I promised I will come back and visit once I am done!
After 9 hours in the transfer van (a free tour of all the cities in Iowa, nasty McDonalds and seeing a bunch of missionaries!) I arrived in Des Moines to my new companion, Hermana Reese! I am so excited to serve with her. She is my "Aunt" in the mission because my trainer, Jenny Madsen, is her "sister" since they were both trained by Hermana Beesley..Anyways...us Hermanas were surprised with the new companionships because my "daughter" is with Hermana Reese's "daughter" in Sioux City right now. We had heard lots of rumors from our zone leaders about transfers. Note to self: never listen to them! They informed us Hermana McGuire and I were both leaving Sioux City so we packed up then found out she was staying one more. It was weird! She is lucky though, because Sioux City rocks! In April they will start getting classes in Spanish and the Hermanas will be a big help with that..well back to Des Moines..I havent unpacked yet because we are moving to a non smoking apartment tomorrow. Thank you! We are excited to move in together, itll be like a fresh start for Hermana Reese since she has been here for three transfers already. We have visited some of the families here and I love them already! Maria De La Luz makes the best mexican food and we go over there every Friday! Im excited about that...then we are close with the Ortega family, they were less-active when Hermana Reese got here and now they are super strong with callings and such...Cynthia their 9 yr old daughter will be baptized April 10. That will be neat! We are workin with some really neat investigators here in Des Moines and we will be searching for new. My first sunday in the Spanish branch was fun! All in Spanish and no translating from English to Spanish. Phew! I did have to translate from Spanish to english but that is easier I feel. We had fast and tesimony meeting so I went up and introduced myself and shared my testimony. I also encouraged everyone in the ward to be brave and share their testimonies with others. I explained how I am a convert and had my sister and friends who were members and their powerful testimonies helped me to find the truth! Thanks to all. I shared the scripture, "when thou art converted, strengthen they brethren." I had an embarassing moment during announcements in Sacrament..I was talking to this cute little girl sitting by me and missed my cue when they welcomed me so I guess they welcomed me and I didnt react. haha! I am going to tell our Branch president to do it again in a few weeks. :) oooops. There are lots of missionaries here in Des Moines and its a lot bigger city. I feel like a kid from a small town going into the big city. Our zone leaders are Elder Finnerty and Nelsen and they are great! They are spanish missionaries and share the branch with us. I am excited about this branch! Lots of Spanish converts and families. I wanted to share a funny quote..our ward mission leader was sharing the story on how he met his wife and definitely told her on their second date, "I think I want you to have my babies." I died laughing when I heard that. We teased him a lot but hey thats cool, they are happily married with kids.
Each transfer we focus on a Christlike attribute to focus on as a companionship..we chose humility. We are dedicating ourselves to the Lord and letting him know we are completely dependent on Him for success. We are happy! This week-end is General Conference, and everyone reading this entry needs to watch it! BYU tv..in about 90 languages broadcasted all over the world! We get to hear from our Prophet, the Apostles and other leaders of the Church. Itll be Saturday 9am and 1pm and Sunday 9am and 1pm (West Coast). I know that as you watch it you will feel the love of our Heavenly Father and know that they really are true men called of God! You can always pray and ask as well. :) Happy Easter Everyone! We are going to dye easter eggs and go on an easter egg hunt with the Ortega family. :)
Have a great week! Love you all.
Hermana Murphy
ps happy birthday nina and congrats Scott and Jenna! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment